Funding: Financial assistance is available for all students enrolled in the program, in the form of teaching assistantships, research assistantships, and fellowships. Most fellowships and assistantships provide either tuition scholarships or full tuition remission. In 2016-2017, teaching assistantships will carry the following stipends: $12,554 for one-third time (two sections of class per year) and $18,816 for one-half time (three sections per year).
Faculty: Ethan Canin, Lan Samantha Chang, Charles D’Ambrosio, James Galvin, Mark Levine, Margot Livesey, Ayana Mathis, James Alan McPherson, Marilynne Robinson, Elizabeth Willis
Application (Deadline Dec. 15):
- Manuscript: 30-80 double-spaced pages for fiction of 2-3 stories or a novel section; 10-12 poems for poetry
- Personal statement: (no word limit) include your purpose in pursuing graduate study, any research you wish to pursue, and your future vocational goals.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Optional general GRE scores
- Optional CV/resume
- Official transcripts with undergraduate GPA minimum of 3.00
- $60 application fee
Admission rate: “We had 1,026 applications in fiction and we accepted 25. We had 354 applications in poetry and we accepted 25.” -Deb West, Graduate Coordinator [Apr 28, 2015]