Funding: All students are fully funded through Graduate Teaching Assistantships with annual stipends of $16,000. The three-year program funding package includes full tuition remission and health insurance. No teaching is required in the first semester with opportunity to teach creative writing in the third year.
Faculty: Ed Falco, Nikki Giovanni, Bob Hicok, Jeff Mann, Erika Meitner, Lucinda Roy, Matthew Vollmer
Application (Deadline Jan. 15):
- Manuscript: 25-page portfolio of original fiction (stories or novel excerpts); an original 15-page portfolio of poems
- Online application
- Publications, awards, and professional record
- Personal statement: tell us about: yourself as a writer, reader, and person; what drives you to want to write; why you want to complete an MFA program at VT; whether you have teaching or tutoring experience and how it will help you in a college classroom.
- Three letters of recommendation (preferably from former professors and/or creative writers)
- Official copy of transcripts
- $65 application fee
Admission rate: “We had around 190 applicants the last time. We took 8…but normally we can only take 6 or 7 (because of funding).” -Jeff Mann, Director of Creative Writing [July 26, 2013]